The St. James Wambaw Church (often referred to as the ‘Brick Church at Wambaw’) was built in 1768 along the old King’s Highway (Old Georgetown Road) off Highway 17 in Charleston County, and served the Parish of St. James Santee. However, after the Civil War – by 1877 – most of it’s congregation (an estimated 13 families) had moved to the village of McClellanville, South Carolina.
Eventually, in 1890 – the St. James Santee Episcopal Chapel of Ease was built in McClellanville. Residents of the area donated the land and the funds required to build the Chapel – while others contributed architectural and carpentry skills. The Chapel was framed in longleaf pine and cypress – with black cypress shingles covering the roof and exterior walls. Services are now only held at the Wambaw Church on special ocassions – as of 1918, Easter Sunday services have been held annually at the Wambaw Church at 11 am followed by a picnic in the cemetery.